October 24, 2011

Welcome to my Blog

For those of you who know me well (which in this case means “he’s technically challenged…”), the idea of a blog may seem a bit of a stretch.  First the Blackberry, then the iPhone and iPad, and now a blog?  Michael Carter???  Well why not!  About three years ago I made a New Year’s resolution to embrace technology.  I had been desperately trying to avoid the unavoidable.    True, we may be living in a graceless age, but the competitive side of me won out and determined not to be left in the dust, I purchased my first smart phone.  So armed with digital camera and a world-wide venue, I now aim to take these tools and, even if clumsily, share a viewpoint and a vision that acknowledges the need for art, design and beauty in our everyday environment.  As an interior designer working in Boston for the last three decades, I have come to appreciate more and more those often-fleeting episodes of our existence that celebrate and value an aesthetic point of view.   And especially to those many people who devote their whole lives to this pursuit – artisans, designers, architects and gardeners – I say thank you!  And please don’t stop!!!  As my now 87-year-old aunt wrote to me in a birthday card when I was just a boy, in her always-impeccable cursive lettering:  “Seek a thing of beauty everyday”.

I took this shot when I was antiquing in Connecticut a few years ago.  It’s the garden outside of Gary Sargent’s wonderful shop in Woodstock.  I printed it off my camera and thumbtacked it onto my enormous bulletin board located over my desk.  You can see why I find it almost spiritual to study, especially on a stressful or hectic day.  


3 comments:

  1. Nice thanks for sharing that is really useful for me...!


    Psd to xhtml

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a nice blog.I like the way you design and collection of using furniture.i got so many ideas from your blog.



      Catering Supplies

      Delete
  2. I think the best interior design and furniture are necessary for house. It gives new and pretty looks of your house. This is one of the best ideas which you share above.

    large storage bins

    ReplyDelete