June 19, 2012

Keeping it in the Family


I came across a book in my library this morning that featured the work of Parish-Hadley. The sudden reality that our industry has now lost both these design legends gave me pause. That sense of loss continued as I looked across the length of that particular shelf and realized that so many of the legendary designers I grew up admiring and learning from – Billy Baldwin, David Hicks, Nancy Lancaster --have passed from this world.  One of those giants is of course Mark Hampton.  I just treasure my copy of his 1989 Mark Hampton on Decorating which features his own watercolors of rooms he decorated during his illustrious career. And I carry with me, as if looking at it today, the wonderful memory being in Mr. Hampton’s NYC apartment in the 1990’s with his small foyer done in faux limestone blocks.  And since imitation is the highest form of flattery,  for my next house (which I’m planning right now!), I plan to use as inspiration his famous chocolate brown living room with its crisp white details, lush upholstery and elegant antiques.

Mr. Hampton's inspiring Living Room.

 It’s a fine and fitting addition to the landscape of American interior design, that Mark Hampton’s legacy is continued today by his stylish, beautiful and intelligent daughter Alexa. It has been my delight, on a number of occasions, to meet Alexa and observe how she has continued to expand on the work established by her father while giving it her own personalized stamp.

Me with the ever fabulous Alexa Hampton at High Point earlier this year.
Her collections for Hickory Chair, Kravet Fabric, Stark Carpet and Visual Comfort have injected into the marketplace that classic styling we’ve come to expect from the Hampton name.  And her latest foray into publishing has added a new volume to my library (and I suggest the same for you) with the completely modern, yet respectfully Hampton-esque  “Alexa Hampton; The Language of Interior Design” (Crown Publishing Group). 


Her spirit of fun combined with an extensive knowledge of design and architecture makes every interaction a delight.


A Modern Living Room by Alexa Hampton; as timeless and comfortable as those of her father.

As timeless a bedroom as one might want, thanks to Ms. Hampton.


As I prepare with my business partner Lynn Dayton to open Carter Dayton HOME this fall in Wellesley, I look forward to inviting the uber-friendly, always charming and often naughty Alexa Hampton to venture up to Boston for the unveiling.  Featuring some of Alexa Hampton’s own product designs, Carter Dayton HOME is slated to be Boston’s premier luxury home furnishings store.  Watch for news on the store and all the exciting lines we’ll be carrying along with an amazing roster today’s design legends who will certainly add to all the excitement.

In the meantime pick up a copy of Alexa’s new book (http://is.gd/TVqBH5) and make your world a bit more beautiful.




3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Post, ideas and pictures. I also love interior designing right from my childhood.

    I always keep looking for some new ideas to make our home more beautiful and attractive.

    interior designers in delhi
    interior decorators in delhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable designs .. I,m amazed to see this ideas concept and style is just perfect. Living Room

    ReplyDelete
  3. Develop your best interior designer in pune project using the three tips of balance, branding, and ... Create an best interior designers that is functional and appealing

    ReplyDelete